First served this one for Christmas 2013 as the dessert course following spiral cut ham.
- 4 cups soft bread cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples (postage stamp sized 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Soak raisins in brandy for 1 hour+ and reserve brandy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 7×11 inch baking dish or casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, raisins, and apples. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups milk, and 1/4 cup butter and brandy reserves. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Pour over bread mixture in bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and pour egg mixture over bread.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until center is set and apples are tender.