What do you do with leftover Christmas ham? Ham sandwiches. Well, what do you do when you’re tired of left over ham sandwiches and it’s time to pitch the bones and trimmings? Blackbean soup!
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 smoked ham bone (with some meat on it)
- 1.5 cups cubed ham leftovers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tspn allspice
- 2/3 cup dry sherry
- Soak beans overnight.
- Simmer beans in 8 cups of water until soft.
- While the beans are cooking, saute the chopped onion and celery in butter until golden. Add the vegetables to the soup pot along with bay leaves, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin allspice and ham bone. Cook over medium heat for 3 hours or slow cook on low for 8 hours, adding water if needed.
- After the beans are cooked and soft, remove the ham. Set aside. Cool soup, and puree in batches. Return the soup to the pot, and add dry sherry.
- Cut the meat off the bone, and add the meat to the soup. Cook over low heat until warmed through, and adjust seasonings.