Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Prep: 30 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Bread bowls optional
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Puree the soup in in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth; you’ll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli. (If you don’t have an immersion blender puree in a blender in batches)
- Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. Add up to 3/4 cup water if the soup is too thick.
- Serve and garnish with cheese