I found this recipe in an old Gourmet magazine back in 2003 searching for a summer time cook out dessert. It’s still one of my summer time favorites.
Active time: 30 min
Total time: 9 hours
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4-inch by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice (if using bottled, preferably Manhattan brand)
3/4 cup chilled heavy cream (optional)
1 Tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. Mix graham crackers, sugar and butter and press firmly into the bottom of a 9-inch glass pie dish with a fork.
2. Heat for 10 min. at 350 deg.
3. Cool completely on a wire rack.
4. While crust is cooking, mix yolks and condensed milk until smooth. Then wisk in lime juice until filling thickens.
5. Pour filling into pie dish and bake for 15 min at 350 deg.
6. Cool on wire rack. Cover with foil and chill for at least 8 hours.
7. Whip chilled whipping cream, sugar and vanilla and serve.