– 1 large onion
– 1 red bell pepper- sliced into thin strips
– 5 large diced tomatoes or 1 26 oz. can of diced tomatoes
– 1 cup red or white wine
– 1 cube chicken bullion or 1 cup clam juice
– olive oil, butter
– 1 pinch of saffron
– 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
– 2 cloves garlic minced
– 1 bay leaf
– 1/2 tsp basil
– one can canned clams and clam broth
– ½ lb. each shrimp (cleaned and de-veined), scallops, crabmeat, mussels
– 1 lb. white fish (halibut, sea bass, or talapia)
– 8 fresh clams
– 1/2 tsp. parsley
– Red Pepper Flakes
1. Saute onion until transparent in olive oil
2. Add red pepper strips and a pat of butter for flavor. Cook until soft.
3. Add diced tomatoes cook until soft.
4. Add white or red wine, crushed chicken bullion cube, clam juice [drained juice from can of clams].
Reserve the clams from the can to add to the sauce later.
5. Add herbs and seasoning and let simmer for 20 min.
6. Add the seafood in this order with a lid on the pot:
– Fresh Crab (let simmer for 5 min)
– White fish
– Whole live clams
[let the shells open up- when the shells have opened you can add the other seafood in the following order. If any of the shellfish shells do not open after a few minutes and all the others have opened- throw the unopened ones out- they are bad].
– Remaining clams reserved from the can
[Cook these last items just for a few minutes- if you overcook they will become tough].
6. Serve over fettucini and sprinkle with parsley and red pepper flakes