my uncle jack doesn’t cook much, but curiously he loves collecting cook books. I found this recipe in a BBQ cookbook from the 1960s.
Serves 6 pints, so get ready to freeze some or or my preference fire up the smoker and throw a block party!
- 28 oz. ketchup
- 12 oz. chili sauce
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 1 Tbs dry mustard powder
- 1.5 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs coarsly ground black pepper
- 1.5 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup A1 sauce
- 3 dashes Tobasco sauce
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 12 oz. beer (I prefer a NW Pale – something light and malty, not hoppy)
- Minced garlic (optional)
Combine all ingredients except the garlic well. Pour into jars to store. This keeps in the fridge for several weeks. In the freezer indefinitely.
About an hour before serving add minced garlic if that’s your preference.